* Faillure to examine the throat is a glaring sin of
omission, especially in children. One finger in the throat
and one in the rectum makes a good diagnostician ( William
* By medicine life may be prolonged, yet death/ Will seize
the doctor too (William Shakespeare).
* Medicine, the only profession that labours incessantly to
destroy the reason for its existence (James Bryce).
* I got the bill for my surgery. Now I know what those
doctors were wearing masks for (James H. Boren).
* Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men
mistook magic for medicine, now, when science is strong and
religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic (Thomas
* The desire to take medicine is perhaps the greatest
feature which distinguishes man from animals (William
* She got her good looks from her father - he`s a plastic
surgeon (Groucho Marx).
* financial ruin from medical bills is almost exclusively an
American disease ( Roul Turley).
* There are more doctors in a single North Shore medical
building than in one entire West Side ghetto (Jack Starr).
* The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while
nature cures the disease (Voltaire).
* My doctor is nice; every time I see him I`m ashamed of
what I think of doctors in general (Mignon McLaughlin).
* It should be the function of medicine to have people die
young as late as possible ( Ernst L. Wynder).
* A rule of thumb in the matter of medical advice is to take
everything any doctor says with a grain of aspirin (Goodman
* One of the first duties of the physician is to educate the
masses not to take medicine ( William Osler).
* A sound mind in a sound body (Mens sana in corpore sano).
* Diseases come on horseback, but go away on foot.
* Health is better than wealth.
* Desperate diseases must have desperate cures.
* Bitter pills may have blessed effects.
* Like cures like (Similia similibus curantur).
* After dinner sit a while, after supper walk a mile.
* A good surgeon must have an eagle`s eye, a lion`s heart,
and a lady`s hand.
* Butter is gold in the morning, silver at noon, lead at
* One hour`s sleep before midnight is worth two hours after.
* The best physicians are Dr. Diet, Dr. Quiet, and Dr.
* Eat to live and not live to eat.
* Cider on beer, never fear; beer upon cider, makes a bad
* The first step to health is to know that we are sick.
* Every disease will have its course.
* Sickness soaks the purse.
* God does the cure and the physician takes the fee for it.
* One doctor makes work for another.
* Doctors make the very worst patients.
* Eat when you`re hungry, and drink when you`re dry.
* Good eating deserves good drinking.
* Fresh pork and new wine kill a man before his time.
* Without sleep, no health.
* He that lives too fast, goes to his grave too soon.
* The head and feet keep warm, the rest will take no harm.
* Hot things, sharp things, sweet things, cold things, all
rot the teeth.
* A merry heart makes a long life.
* Laughter is the best medicine.
* Two things do prolong your life: A quiet heart, and a
* Little enemies and little wounds must not be despised.
* Different sores must have different salves.
* Nature, time and patience are three great physicians.
* Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
* Haste makes waste.
* Too many cooks spoil the broth.
* Out of sight, out of mind.
* A rolling stone gathers no moss.
* The early bird catches the worm.
* Prevention is better than cure.
* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
* Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy,
wealthy and wise.
* Stuff a cold and starve a fever.
* An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
* Prevention is better than a post-mortem.
* Prevention is more important than attempting a cure -
* An ounce of experience is better than a pound of science.
* A milligram of prevention is worth a kilogram of cure
(John Robert Colombo).
* Early to bed and early to rise/ Will make you miss all
regular guys ( George Ade).
* Early to bed, early to rise and your girl goes out with
the other guys.
* Early to bed and early to rise makes a man tired.
* Early to bed and early to rise makes a man not watch T.V.
* An onion a day keeps the world away.
* A pill a day keeps the stork away.
* If a smile a day will keep the doctor away... Here`s Mine!
* A condom a day keeps AIDS away.
* Everything in excess is opposed to nature (Hippocrates).
* An apple a day makes 365 apples a year.
* In the space age the most important space is between our
ears (Thomas J. Barlow).
* There ain`t no way to find out why a snorer can`t hear
himself snore (Mark Twain).
* "Science" means simply the aggregate of all the recipes
that are always successful. All the rest is literature (Paul
* The empires of the future are the empires of the mind
* If I`d known I was gonna live this long (100 years), I`d
have taken better care of myself (Eubie Blake).
* To me old age is always fifteen years older than I am
Back to CSEN main page...